At the beginning of the year, people make New Year Resolutions. They pledge to do better in life, on their job, & they will lose weight. Well, that’s all fine and dandy but what about your marriage. There is no need to carry into 2012, the same problems or issues you didn’t deal with in 2011. So lets deal with them & get rid of them.
We focus so intently on material and self that we sometimes forgo the marriage. All that will change today! We are embarking on an INTERNAL [MARRIAGE] CLEANSE!
Internal [Marriage] Cleanse WHAT is it? Glad you asked. An internal [marriage] cleanse is a process done by husband and wife to get rid of things that have been stumbling them in their marriage. The cleanse must be done together.
Internal Cleanse Steps:
- Begin with prayer..ask God to be with you and your spouse as you proceed with the cleanse. Help you guys to be transparent but understanding and to remove any negative thoughts, words, and action from you!
- Decide who will talk first.
- Discuss the items that troubled you about your spouse/yourself. Be as honest as you can be but don’t browbeat your spouse.
- The spouse that is listening: write down the things that your spouse is sharing with you.
- When your spouse is finished sharing, discuss ways to improve and be honest & transparent with them on why and how.
- Repeat steps 3-5 with the husband/wife (whomever didn’t go first).
- Once an acknowledgment and agreement has been made, began to tear up the papers you wrote on.
- Start a fire in the fireplace/firepit/grill
- Together, place the torn pieces into the fire. Once you place the papers in the fire, you agree never to bring the mistakes, bad words, past issues up again. You guys are starting with a clean fresh slate.
- At this time, say another prayer and thank God for the openness and the opportunity to correct the things you are doing that bothers your spouse.
- Now Kiss
- Pour a glass of wine & just enjoy this time together!
Please share your thoughts and reactions to the Internal [MARRIAGE] cleanse! I would love to hear them.
- What is your vision for your marriage? (marriageisgood.wordpress.com)
- Our year in review (questions you can ask your spouse) (affaircare.com)