Let’s just keep it all the way 100, things can slow down or get a little boring in the sex department, sometimes.
If you’re in a bedroom rut, consider incorporating some household items to spice up sex and have the best date night ever. Whether you’re looking for fun ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year without breaking the bank or just want to mix things up a bit, it’s easy to take intimate moments with your spouse to the next level.
You don’t have to go all out at the adult store and spend hundreds of dollars on toys and props. There are countless ways to use basic items around the house in new ways to truly spice up sex between you and your spouse. The following household items and a bit of imagination can provide the boost your sex life needs to keep things fun and new.
First and Foremost: Choose a Safe Word
Spicing up your sex life is a fun and exciting way to build intimacy between you and your partner. Pushing the limits or even going so far as to hurt the person you love can truly diminish the entire experience. Having a safe word (a word that either one of you can say when things start to get uncomfortable that signals to the other partner immediately stop what is happening)
A safe word allows you to build trust in your relationship and ensures that everyone is on the same page. This confidence and sense of trust lay the groundwork toward a stronger, more intimate and loving bond. It is important to note that experimenting in the bedroom should always be something that you and your spouse agree to mutually. When incorporating household items during moments of intimacy to spice up your sex life or when trying out techniques, having a safe word is your first step. After that, it’s game on!
Power Play to Spice Up Sex
There’s no need to drop $40 on a pair of fancy bedroom handcuffs when there are perfectly adequate items to substitute around the house to spice up your sex life. Many couples use handcuffs to push the boundaries of trust and encourage one another to either let go or be more assertive about what they want. Depending on which side of the restraints you’re on, using the element of power during sex can often bring out new elements and help couples express their desires physically even when they have difficulty voicing them.
How to Show Some Restraint in the Bedroom
Household Items To Use instead of Handcuffs and Blindfolds
- A Sticky Situation – Tape can work just as well as a pair of handcuffs to restrain a partner. Whether you’re on the giving or receiving end, simply by incorporating some tape into your foreplay, you can play with power roles. (just be careful when removing the tape, ensure it is not covering body hair – use oils or vaseline to make tape removal easier – unless of course, the element of pain is part of your foreplay)
- Hold it Down – A leather belt works well for couples wishing to foray into the world of BDSM. While belts work well for restraining your partner, you can also use one to inflict a bit of pressure as a whip and incorporate an element of surprise or sharp sensations that counteract a loving a caress or gentle touch.
- Smooth Operator – A silk scarf can work well in conjunction with tape for restraint much like a belt. It can also be used as a precursor to more ‘advanced’ level restraints like belts because they’re typically easier to get out of if you’re feeling uncomfortable in any way. A scarf can also double as a blindfold to help add the element of surprise to what your partner will do to you. Often, if you can’t see what’s coming, when it actually happens the sensation will be all the more intense.
Whether you and your partner are experimenting with submissiveness or dominance, using household items above can help spice up your sex life by allowing you the freedom to express your preferences in a comfortable and hands-on way.
Use the Element of Surprise To Spice Up Sex
The element of surprise is reached by using a few basic items around the house. The kitchen holds the recipe to spice up your sex life with some a few simple ingredients.
- Ice-Ice Baby – Foreplay and oral play is enhanced with surprising sensations like Pop-Rocks candy or a few pieces of ice from the freezer. Coupled with a blindfold and some sort of restraint you can easily keep your partner on their toes with a simple piece of ice. Whether you use it to trace the outline of various body parts or cool things down when they’re expecting something else, the options are only limited by your imagination.
- Olive Oil Massages – Similarly, olive oil is used as a carrier oil for a sensuous massage. Consider adding in a few drops of essential oils to create a massage oil tailored to you or your partner’s specific needs. Ylang Ylang works to increase sex drive, while jasmine essential oil can perk up your spirits. Sandalwood is a great oil for calming massage to increase intimacy. There’s something about physical touch that connects us and creates a sense of peace and calm. Using aromatherapy and massage is a great way to reconnect with one another.
- Vaseline – Petroleum Jelly – Much like olive oil, vaseline is a smooth, slippery lubricant that is used in a number of ways. Take your time to explore one another’s bodies with this added slippery, smooth sensation and create a sense of wonder; where will you explore next, linger over one area then move on to the next, keep them guessing.
Looking for a New Sensation to Spice Up Sex
- Sexy Spin Cycle – Time and time again the proverbial spin cycle on the washing machine gets top billing as a household item that can spice up your sex life. A vibrating washing machine can really heat things up, for both couples. Take to the laundry room for some adventurous sex. Not only are you out of the bedroom comfort zone, but propping yourselves up or against a running machine can offer an added set of stimuli that can truly take things over the top.
- Massage Envy – A head or back massage is beneficial for releasing tight muscle knots from a long day’s work but these household items can also spice things up in the bedroom. You don’t need to buy expensive vibrators or bullets. Take your sex life to the next level with a simple body massage. You may already have stashed away. It can do the trick often faster than your typical fancy sex toy.
- Slippery When Wet – Showering with your partner can not only cut down your water bill, it’s an even better way to get intimate. Try using the various settings on the shower head to stimulate your partner; not a bad way to start your morning before heading off to work!
Stimulate All of the Senses
Aphrodisiac Attack – In recent years, chocolate is touted as an aphrodisiac that contains tryptophan; one of the brain chemicals attributing to sexual arousal. Bring food to the bedroom and spice up your sex life. You can feed one another chocolate-covered strawberries and sip on champagne to get yourselves in the mood. Consider drizzling chocolate syrup or chocolate spread over your partner’s body and proceed to ‘clean’ it up in unique ways.
Incorporate all of the senses with household items to can spice up your sex life. There’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars on getaways, adult toys or fancy lingerie. These things are an added bonus but are not essential. All you need is a bit of resourcefulness, imagination, and a sense of adventure.
How many of the items mentioned have you tried or will try soon?