It is wedding season. So you now when there is a wedding there must be a bridal shower planned as well. However, with the way friends and family are located all over the world, some may not make it to a traditional bridal shower. So what do you do? You host a virtual bridal shower.
You guys, I had the bright idea a couple of years ago to host a virtual bridal shower for a couple of ladies in my I Am A Wife Facebook group.They become wives on June 27 and on July 3. They are some lovely ladies and have really put in the work to learn what it means to be a wife but also love themselves enough to be the wife God has ordained them to be.
So I wanted to celebrate with them on this milestone and with us all meeting via Facebook and not living in the same city, it was only fitting that I hosted a virtual bridal shower.
As a person who loves to plan and host events, I went all in for this virtual bridal shower just as if it was a live event. We had entertainment, food, prizes and a few good laughs!
What is a Virtual Bridal Shower
I am so glad you asked. Well since my group is an online group of wives from all over the country, I had to do something virtually so that everyone could attend. So a virtual bridal shower is a traditional bridal shower but held online. The shower can be hosted via Skype, Google Hangout, Periscope, Blab or even on Facebook, like what we did.
How to host a virtual bridal shower is not hard. Check out these tidbits on hosting a virtual bridal shower.
How to plan and host a virtual bridal shower
Planning a virtual bridal shower takes just as much or even more planning as a traditional live bridal shower. The shower must have invitations, a guest list, and plan for food and prizes.
Here are the steps I took to host the virtual bridal shower:
- Pick a date that majority of your guest list would be able to attend the virtual bridal shower. Make sure the bride to be is available on that date.
- Be very cognizant of any holidays coming up and don’t pick a date that most people will not be online.
- Send out virtual invitations. You can use Evite or create an online event on Facebook.
- Use a platform that everyone is familiar with. If you have never used Google hangouts or Skype do a test run to understand the dynamics of each platform.
- Get prizes for the attendees and brides. Ask others to purchase gifts for the bride via her registry.
- Decide on a virtual bridal shower food to serve during the party.
- Decide on 3-4 games you will play.
- Decide on what type of entertainment, if applicable, you will show doing the virtual bridal shower.
A virtual bridal shower deserves your 100% attention to be successful. Don’t skimp on any of the details when it comes to planning the virtual bridal shower.
Free Virtual Bridal Shower Invitations Options
You cannot host a party without creating and sending out invitations so you know a virtual bridal shower must have invitations. Since this is a virtual event, you have the options to send invitations via mail or email.
To create invitations, think about using these sites/stores:
- Canva (and you can get the invitations printed by Canva)
- Simply purchase some remade cards from the store
Games for the virtual bridal shower
We played 3 games at ours. Due to this being a virtual shower, you don’t want to hold the guests online for a long period of time. We held our shower for one hour and it was jammed pack with fun and laughs.
We played the following games:
1. The traditional purse game: The attendees had to email my assistant a list of items in their purse before the party started. You will ask everyone if they have a certain item in their purse and if they do, they get a certain number of points. Once the game is over, everyone will count up their points and the lady with the most points win.
2. ABCs of Wedding Night Must Haves: The guest must use the alphabets to list things the bride must have on her wedding night. The one that completes the list wins. If there is a tie, the bride will choose the best list and the winner.
3. Who is the Groom: Put some pictures in a collage with the groom picture and have the attendees to guess which one is the groom.
There are so many other games that you can play at a virtual bridal shower. Your imagination is your only limits.
Since this was a virtual bridal shower, we shared recipes leading up to the shower with our guests. This gave them an opportunity to fix these items at home and have the night of the virtual bridal shower. Thanks to our sponsor, Chewsy Lovers, for sharing great recipes and ideas with the attendees on tasty food to have at a bridal shower.
Chewsy Lovers made some delicious red velvet cupcakes with a coconut spin. Make sure you visit their blog for the recipe!
I was blessed to get sponsors for our virtual bridal shower. However, you can ask each guest to purchase gifts for the bride via her bridal registry and you can purchase gifts for attendees like you would for a traditional bridal shower.
Thank you to the wonderful sponsors:
Please take a moment and visit our sponsors!
Overall, a virtual bridal shower is a lot of fun and doable. You must plan and have patience because remember you are dealing with technology.
Please let me know if you have hosted a virtual shower or even would think of hosting one? Leave me a comment below!