It’s the beginning of the year that many of us are looking at ourselves and saying “I must lose some weight!” I know I’m not the only one that have tried and tried to lose weight and begin a new diet, but had no idea where to start? Or perhaps you started on Monday morning only to become overwhelmed and calling quits a few days later? Yep, that’s definitely how my eating, dieting, losing weight journey has been.
With so many different diets available, such as – Weight Watchers, LCHF, Atkins, Dukan, the list goes on and on, and chances are you, like me, have tried several of these seemingly easy eating plans without being able to stick with them long enough to see a real transformation.
So like always, I’m looking for something that I can try to get this weight off me but also get my health in check. Recently, I saw a few posts in some Facebook groups about Keto.
Keto, what is that?
Same thing I was asking as I was viewing all the transformation pictured and testimonies of how wonderful this eating plan is. So, me being me, I started researching, watching videos, joining keto themed Facebook groups and my desire to lose weight without starving got me embarking on a ketogenic diet.
Listen, don’t get me wrong and I’m not trying to decide you. I know starting a new diet is challenging. There’s a lot to learn and meal planning to decide on and understand. I have scrolled through thousands of recipes to on Pinterest. However, I realized pinning delicious recipes all day won’t do anything to help me nor you lose weight.
When it comes to any diet, planning is the key to success. You need to know which food is okay for you to eat, and which to avoid. And the easiest way to reach your weight goal is by meal prepping and following a ketogenic meal plan.
So, I don’t want you to become discouraged at all with making a ketogenic diet part of your lifestyle, I am sharing with you a 7-Day Ketogenic Meal Plan for you to make starting the ketogenic diet a little more manageable. You can mix the meals to fit your meal plan or just try any meal or snack to see if the Keto Diet may be right for you.
Are you ready to jump into the keto diet?
What Is the Ketogenic Diet?
The keto diet, or the ketogenic diet, is a way of eating that is designed to burn fat fast. The ketogenic diet forces your body into a natural metabolic state known as ketosis.
By eating fewer calories and more fat, your body begins producing energy molecules called ketone bodies or ketones. When your body doesn’t have carbohydrates to burn for energy, it burns fat.
When your body starts running off of ketones as its main energy source instead of carbs, your body has entered a state of ketosis. Simply put, on a keto diet, your body becomes a fat-burning machine!
The Benefits of a Ketogenic Diet
In addition to burning fat, being on the keto diet has some really great benefits:
- Weight loss – This may be your main goal when you start the keto diet, and while you’ll absolutely drop some pounds. Weight loss varies from one person to another (everyone’s body is different) but those who follow a keto diet have also been found to achieve better long-term weight and cardiovascular management compared to those who follow a typical low-fat diet.
- Reduced risk of heart disease – Although the ketogenic diet tends to be high in saturated fat, it has been found to improve cholesterol levels and thus lowering cardiovascular disease factors and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Boosts Brain Function – Cognitive impairments and neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s and epilepsy may be able to be treated and even reversed by eating
- Increased Energy – Many people found that the high-to-low energy spikes are no longer an issue. The ketogenic diet allows you to get the most out of your cells so that you can get the most out of life.
Ketogenic Diet Rules
Keto doesn’t require strict calorie counting. But there are some other basic concepts of the ketogenic diet that you need to understand to prevent from accidentally throwing your diet off track.
The idea with the keto diet is to rewire your metabolism by using specific levels of macronutrients to help burn fat fast and efficiently. In order to accomplish this, you must increase your fat intake to 70 – 75 percent of your calories and drop your carbohydrate intake drastically. You can use this Free Keto Calculator to find out exactly how you should divide your intake of fat and carbs.
Before you scream with excitement and think that you can eat cake every day, I hate to disappoint you. The fats you’re supposed to eat, are healthy fats. But there are so many amazing foods on the keto diet that you can eat and so many delicious ways to prepare them that you’ll forget all about chocolate cake. Well, almost…
Foods to eat on a Ketogenic Diet:
- Meat – Chicken, pork, beef, turkey, etc.
- Fatty Fish – Tuna, salmon, catfish, sardines, trout, etc.
- Other proteins – Eggs
- Dairy – Cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, etc.
- Oils – Olive oil, almond oil, flaxseed oil.
- Nuts and Seeds – Almonds, walnuts, sesame, macadamias, pumpkins, sunflower, etc.
- Vegetables – Asparagus, tomatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, kale, green beans, spinach, etc.
- Berries – Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc.
- Other fats – Butter, peanut butter
Foods to avoid on a Ketogenic Diet:
- Sugar – Soda, juice, sports drinks, candy, ice cream, cookies, etc.
- Fruit – Apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Grains – Bread, pasta, rice, wheat, oats, corn, cakes, pastries, etc.
- Starch – Potatoes, yam, muesli, etc.
- Beans and Legumes
I’ve put together a 7-day ketogenic meal plan with some of to fix keto recipes that are easy for any beginner to follow. Below, you’ll find seven ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks that you can use for inspiration to start your new ketogenic diet meal planning.
Ketogenic Breakfast Recipes
Aside from being healthy and delicious, a great breakfast needs to be quick, easy and give you leftovers.
When you’re starting a new diet, you should always start day 1 on a weekend. This way, you can prepare for the week and create a good foundation for a successful diet.
Mornings tend to be really stressful and by making breakfast that gives you lots of leftovers, you’re reducing the risk of you grabbing something unhealthy to eat when you’re in a rush!
Here are 7 keto breakfast ideas that will get you out of bed in the mornings.
1. Keto Low Carb Pancakes with Almond Flour & Coconut Flour from Wholesome Yum
These 6-ingredient keto low carb pancakes with almond flour and coconut flour are so easy, fluffy, and delicious. Paleo and gluten-free, too!
2. Keto Breakfast Cookie from The Foodie Affair
Keto Breakfast Cookies with hemp hearts (seeded hemp) and shredded coconut flakes are nutritious portable breakfast cookies for on the go!
3. Keto Cajun Sausage Breakfast Scramble from Meal Prep on Fleek
This Cajun Sausage scramble combines the iconic flavors of Jambalaya into a cheesy egg dish that you can enjoy any time of day.
4. Keto Breakfast Pockets from Joy Filled Eats
These Keto Breakfast Pockets will become your favorite grab-and-go breakfast! They are freezable so you can just pop one in the microwave before running out the door. You can easily customize them with your favorite breakfast meats and cheeses.
5. Breakfast Egg & Sausage Pie from Joy Filled Eats
This Breakfast Egg & Sausage Pie only takes a few minutes to prepare. With just 5 ingredients it is the ultimate easy family-friendly breakfast.
6. Keto Breakfast Sandwich with Pancakes from Low Carb with Jennifer
This keto breakfast sandwich uses pancakes as the bun and it’s filled with amazing soft scrambled eggs and a sausage patty. Top with sugar-free maple syrup!
7. Low Carb Breakfast Casserole from Wholesome Yum
This cheesy, 6-ingredient low carb breakfast casserole recipe with sausage is so easy! Naturally gluten-free & simple to customize by adding vegetables.
Ketogenic Lunch Recipes
Lunch should also be quick and easy to make if you ask me. No one has a lot of time to spend in the kitchen in the middle of the day.
The fats from your breakfast should keep you feeling energized and full all the way until lunchtime, but don’t forget to drink your water to prevent you from hitting that afternoon wall when you just feel like going straight to bed.
Here are 7 keto lunch ideas that will boost your energy during the day.
1. Oven Roasted or Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Bacon, Garlic & Lemon from Wholesome Yum
A fast and easy cabbage steak recipe with bacon and garlic! Learn how to make oven-roasted cabbage steaks or grilled cabbage steaks with 10-minute prep. They are healthy, low carb, gluten-free, paleo, whole30, and totally delicious.
2. Keto Tex-Mex Instant Pot Chili from Two Sleevers
The most authentic, and the easiest Tex-Mex Instant Pot chili you’ve ever made in your pressure cooker. Use a fresh blend of spices to flavor this keto Instant Pot chili recipe and best of all, it cooks in minutes, yet tastes like it cooked for hours.
3. Keto Lasagna with Meatza Layers from Low Carb Yum
A keto lasagna for meat lovers! Rather than try to sneak in a vegetable for the pasta layer, meatza slices are used in this low carb casserole.
4. Easy Cheesy Chicken Bacon from Joy Filled Eats
Bacon smells like Heaven. I love the smell of it wafting through the house. I’ve made this Cheesy Bacon Chicken twice for company in the last month to rave reviews so I thought I should share the love. With only 5 ingredients and a 5-minute preparation, you will feel the bacon love in no time!
5. Greek Lamb Keto Meatballs from Aussie Keto Queen
If you haven’t tried many Greek dishes before I strongly recommend these meatballs. They are simple and quick to prepare, and with a side of basic rocket and some lemon wedges make a speedy weeknight meal or even a weekend lunch.
6. Quick & Easy Low Carb Keto Pizza from The Penny Wise Mama
Looking for a low carb pizza recipe that is quick and easy to prepare? Look no further than this Keto Pizza recipe featuring a delicious homemade sauce and low carb “crust.” Done in just 20 minutes, it’s an easy keto-friendly recipe you’ll want to make again and again.
7. Cheesy Cauliflower Rice from Low Carb Yum
Only five simple ingredients and less than ten minutes are needed to whip up a bowl of delicious, cheesy cauliflower rice. It makes a perfect keto meal.
Ketogenic Dinner Recipes
Meat, vegetables and high fat should be the center of your life when you’re on the keto diet. You don’t need to overthink things. Just keep it simple and you’ll be successful.
Here are 7 simple keto dinner ideas you can make this week.
1. Low Carb Keto Chicken Parmesan from Wholesome Yum
An easy low carb Chicken Parmesan recipe with crispy low carb breading that stays on! It’s the best cheesy keto Chicken Parmesan ever, made in one pan with simple ingredients.
2. Slow Cooker Keto Pork Carnitas Bowls from Meal Prep on Fleek
This pork roast comes out juicy and full of flavor thanks to a zesty citrus marinade and the use of a slow cooker. Layer the shredded pork on cauliflower rice, and top with your favorite burrito toppings!
3. Italian Wedding Soup from Spinach Tiger
Italian Wedding Soup may or may not be “wedding soup” in the sense that it’s served at a wedding. In a loss of proper translation, it’s a marriage of meat and vegetables.
4. Pressure Cooker Low Carb Ham and Greens from Two Sleevers
Instant Pot Southern Style Collard Ham and Greens. No need to miss your beans and greens with this low carb ham and greens recipe! Simple dump and cook recipe for your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker makes a tasty side dish in under 30 minutes.
5. Mexican Chicken Casserole from Joy Filled Eats
My Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole with Chipotle is excellent in a low carb tortilla, in crisp lettuce wraps, in cheese taco shells, or on a bed of cauliflower rice. Top with a dollop of sour cream and some cilantro for the perfect entree.
6. Keto Chicken Thighs with Creamed Spinach from Low Carb with Jennifer
An easy keto chicken recipe using flavorful chicken thighs on a bed of creamy cheesy spinach. A delicious one-pan low carb 30-minute meal!
7. Crustless Low Carb Taco Pie from Mother Would Know
This Crustless Low Carb Taco Pie is so good, you won’t miss the carbs!
Ketogenic Snack Recipes
Planning and preparing snacks on forehand can help you stay away from unhealthy snacks like cookies, bread, or worse, cake. Make sure that to always have a healthy snack suggestion near when you’re starting to feel a little bit hungry in the afternoons.
Here are 7 ketogenic snack recipes that I think you’ll love!
1. Keto Low Carb Peanut Butter Protein Balls from Wholesome Yum
These no-bake low carb peanut butter protein balls with protein powder are quick and easy to make. Just 4 ingredients & 10 minutes prep!
2. No Bake Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars from Two Sleevers
No-Bake Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars will satisfy all of your dessert cravings with almost none of the sugar. Low Carb, low sugar, high fat Peanut Butter Bars make a perfectly delicious keto dessert or fat bomb.
3. Low Carb Chocolate Cheesecake Bites from My Life Cookbook
These low carb chocolate cheesecake bites are the perfect dessert or snack to have on hand when your sweet tooth comes a calling. Creamy chocolate cheesecake rolled in crunchy toasted coconut or toasted pecans for less than 1g net carbs per bite.
4. Low Carb Popcorn from Low Carb – No Carb
This snack takes time, but it’s so worth trying out! They’re extremely addictive and delicious and immediately the next day, you’ll want to prepare another batch.
5. No Bake Almond and Coconut Clusters from Essential Keto
These no-bake almond and coconut clusters are quick to make, require no baking, are keto-friendly and your kids will love them too.
6. Grain Free Maple Pecan Cheesecake Bars from Spinach Tiger
The Keto Maple Pecan Bar is keto-friendly, grain-free and sugar-free. It’s decadent and yet it’s a keto sweet, low-carb, and paleo-friendly.
7. Easy Parmesan Crisps from Low Carb Yum
Want keto low carb cheese chips that take only a few minutes to make? You can bake up a batch of easy Parmesan crisps in less than ten minutes!
You should always consult your physician before beginning any drastic dietary changes.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to start a ketogenic diet – weight loss, wanting more energy, or just wanting to switch things up – you’re now more than prepared to start your new keto life and crush it. Check in with me and let me know how you are doing with this lifestyle change. If you need some Facebook group suggestions, let me know in the comments.