Y’all didn’t know I’m a closet chef, did you? I love to cook especially in the winter time. I will try to cook anything as long as I have a recipe. Recipes are the blueprint but I’m always adding or substituting ingredients. The fun is putting the ingredients together and hoping it turns out edible. I’ve been craving a lemon cake so I decided to bake one.
Y’all, I can pretty much cook anything but cakes are always my Achilles heel. I was determined to bake a lemon cake and be able to eat it. (That’s important lol)
Lemon Cake Recipe
If you are not the next American Home Baker champion, don’t you worry because this recipe is really simple.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 cup lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 t lemon extract
- 1 1/2 stick of butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and flour two 8 inch pans or a sheet cake pan.
3. In a medium-sized bowl: add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Blend well with a whisk.
4. In another bowl, add wet ingredients: milk, vegetable oil, and lemon extract. Whisk to blend.
5. In another bowl, beat the softened butter until light in color and smooth. Gradually add the sugar and mix on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until the yellow of the yolk disappears. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the butter and sugar bowl. Make sure to begin and end with the flour. Mix until combined and smooth.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cakes cool in the pans 10 minutes then turn out.
What’s your favorite item to bake?