Today, we witnessed President Barack Obama take the oath of office for the second time on Martin Luther King National holiday. In watching the inauguration and hearing the speech, I was just reminded of how we must work together in marriage just as President Obama is asking all in political office to work together.
Inauguration speech & marriage
President Obama mentioned that we are in a crisis and we all recognize the crisis. Well as married folks, we recognize the constant threat against marriages & the steady increase in divorces. The rising number of divorces is destroying families and communities. We must do our part in restoring the faith in marriage and the benefits marriage has on our communities. Our communities are made up of families and when families come under attack our communities come under attack.
As in the words of President Obama: “the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many.” If we ban together and take a stand of unity over conflict and discord. When we got married, our purpose is to become one unified force.
Oneness is necessary to fight off the enemy. We must bond together & build a solid foundation to help us fight off the enemy.
5 Ways to overcome conflict and discord
- Effective Communication: Learn your spouse language, not only their love language, but the way they comprehend and how they process the words you speak to them. You know if your spouse is a person of few words or a person that need a million words to get a true understanding. Communicate in a way to connect with your spouse not to put distance between you guys.
- Close the door to outsiders: Your marriage is your marriage. Leave everyone that is not the husband or the wife in your marriage out of your marriage.
- Threesome in Marriage: Remember to always include God as the head in your marriage.
- Walk away: When things get very heated decide to walk away from the heated discussion and resume once the atmosphere is calmer.
- Perception and perspective: Remember that you guys have your own perception and perspective so definitely remember that if your spouse does something you don’t like its only because of a misunderstanding not that they don’t love you.
President Obama words is perfect ending to this message:
In reaffirming the greatness of our nation [marriage], we understand that greatness [strong marital foundation] is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of short-cuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted – for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things – some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom.
Marriage is not for the faint at heart. It is not for the lazy or the selfish. Those of us that are in our marriage 100% understand and appreciate the hard-work we put in because we will reap the rich rewards of marriage.
The source of our confidence is knowing that we have a partner in life that will support us through the good, the bad, and the ugly. With just knowing that, we forge ahead loving our spouse and fighting to build strong families for our kids and communities.