Life is very taxing at times. Taking on the roles of: husband, wife, career professional, mom, dad, sister, brother, etc can drain a person. As many of you know, I have written about losing yourself in your marriage or role as a parent. I am writing these types of stories to help others but also help myself. This week, I have partnered with several bloggers to bring to light the struggle with depression, #DayofLight. I have (and at times still do) struggle with depression. Depression is one of those silent illnesses that individuals struggle with. We are attempting to bring to light the issues and the remedies for dealing with depression.
What is Depression?
Depression is a common but serious mental illness typically marked by sad or anxious feelings. These feelings tend to linger for periods longer than 2 weeks at a time and interfere with daily activities. Depression does not discriminate based on age, race, gender or sexuality. You are not alone. Depression is often an illness of isolation. People suffer in silence, and frequently feel as if they are alone. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) more than 20 million people in the United States suffer from depression. Join me and the lovely women of Pushing Lovely as we work together to bring depression out of the dark and declare February 5th, 2014 the #DayOfLight.
What is #DayOfLight?
#DayOfLight was created to shine a light on depression, and share resources for those who are struggling with the mental illness. Bloggers from all over the country are collaborating on Wednesday, February 5th to flood social media with personal stories about living with depression, and accurate information on managing and living with the mental illness.
How Can You Participate?
- Write a blog post sharing your personal experience of depression and/or share resources to help others. Add the #DayOfLight hashtag in your post title.
- Watch the #DayOfLight Google Hangout on Wednesday, February 5th at 11 AM EST. Tweet and ask questions. (http://bit.ly/1ilifbP)
- Participate in the #DayOfLight twitter chat on Wednesday, February 5th at 9 PM EST (follow @PushingLovely, @NotoriousSpinks, @datingmyspouse and @BrandiJeter for more information)
- Turn your social media avatars black and white on Wednesday, February 5th so we can visually represent all of those affected by depression.
- Share inspiring tweets, posts, and photos on social media to encourage those who are suffering with depression to let them know that they are not alone. Use the hashtag #DayOfLight.
- Record a 15 second video & upload to Instagram on Wednesday, February 5th. Add the hashtag #Dayoflight
How have you or a family member dealt with depression? Share your story in the comments or tweet me on Twitter @datingmyspouse.